Saturday, May 31, 2008

Thinking back..our first spring in Nebraska 1996

My family moved to Nebraska in 1995 and until I was married in 2002, I never wanted to consider this my home. There are great people, wonderful shopping, very clean cities and communities, and good things to enjoy all year long, but I was against leaving my home in Georgia. It was the first place we'd actually started to put down roots, and feel as though we'd be there permanently. I remember that car ride through Iowa and into Nebraska. My mom and I were following the uhaul my dad was driving and I think we both were panicking from shock to see there were more cows than people, more people than trees, and how most towns didn't seem to have more than 2000 people. And that's a good size town! It seemed as we were driving across the wide open spaces the sky would swallow us up. There weren't any trees to keep it up, and heaven forbid we run out of gas. Who would we call? It was before cell phones were on the market, and it didn't appear as if anyone would have known what they were if they had been. Ha! It took me a good 7-8 years, after finally getting married and then preparing for a family to realize there's no where I'd rather be. Everywhere has it's downsides. It all depends on what your state of mind is. We've lived a number (20+) of places in my life, and I know first hand that it's not the location that makes me happy, it's me. I have the power to make myself happy in all circumstances and locations. Sure I get frustrated at the wind we generally have in the spring that makes most tasks outside unbearable, but it's only occasional. But at the same time I'm irritated, I stop and think it's nice to have a strong breeze on the 85 degree days because it keeps you cooler. I get rather frustrated at the winters sometimes, but it's such a relief to have a break from our very hot humid summers and all the work that goes along with it. Not to mention it's great fun to have necessary wardrobe changes every year! A blast if you like clothes! :) Not to mention, it gives us a break from the heat and gardens, mowing, mosquitoes, and all other bugs, etc. etc. and allows for all new sports and different types of family outings. Snowstorms were something to get used to, but if you look at it from a different perspective, they are great (as long as your safe) because they lay down snow for sledding, snow angels, snowball fights, hot cocoa and getting warm by the fire. Our spring and fall thunderstorms can be bad, but boy it's sure nice to not have to go out in the heat (85 degrees today) and water the garden! And then, I have to appreciate the spring for the cool nights. It was "hot" today and yet tonight it's in the 50's. I love it.

There still aren't as many people in the state of Nebraska as there are in the metro of Detroit, and we still have crime (in the larger cities), but for the most part (in most of the smaller towns) you don't have to worry about taking your keys out of your car if you run into the grocery store, or locking your house when you leave. People watch out for everyone and loan money to random people at garage sales!

Since I've had Bekah and we've moved to our little community, I've loved our time here because we've put down roots, and know alot of the town citizens. Within our small community we belong. We don't just merely pay taxes and are a number, but people care about us and it feels like an extended family. Neighbors exchange food, tools, beg you to attend town functions, and even call us if they think we may not have seen a package on our porch.

When we first moved 13 years ago, I had every intention of leaving because it didn't hold the allure of large cities and fast-paced lifestyles. I have changed my perspective since then and now enjoy what we have, what we can offer to the citizens and children being raised here. I want to appreciate all that I have, and learn to be a better person and contribution to society. Although at that time, I thought moving was the worse thing that could have happened to me, I think it helped me see something different as not a threat, but lessons to learn in making me better. I just hope that my daughter doesn't learn as slowly as I did.

I once read this thought and I don't remember where it came from...oops....but it was so true nevertheless...

"What if appreciated that the thorn bush had roses and not looked at the rose bush despising the thorns?"

1 comment:

December Dreamers said...

great to find your blog. Your house is looking amazing! I am realizing right now how long it has been since we got together last. Time really does fly.

We will have to do something soon.