Our family recently returned from a reunion on my husband's side in Pennsylvania. I've been very blessed to have married into such a great family and don't take it for granted at all. But, (as I give a wistful sigh at missing them) I have another thought to write on... The Amish.
The first few pictures are some I took in Pennsylvania as we rode a steam train. The First 3 pictures are special to me because... The reason's number corresponds with the picture.
#1 The fathers and sons were home with their families. Although working as they must, they are really following the Biblical mandate for the Man to be the ultimate providers.
#2 The Women are home, tending to their family's needs as well, not to others' purposes, families, and rules. To their own husbands and families is their duty. Another Biblical mandate.
#3 I loved their pulley system of drying their clothes. It's a great way to maximize the space you have for hanging out laundry. It's so refreshing to see your handiwork. Unfortunately I'm not there yet, but this is one of my goals. Start hanging our laundry out and keeping abit more of our income to ourselves! ~Not to mention I agree with the idea that sometimes it's the chores that we take the time to do, that gives us that few minutes of peace from crying kids, or anything else that challenges our sanity as mothers.
The other two pictures are self-explanitory. Bekah in a Betsy Ross hat we purchased at Christ's Church in Philedelphia, and our little family. We had hiked with Chris' step-sis and her little family to this waterfall.
~It was so much fun seeing the way the Amish & Mennonites lived and even getting the rare chance to spend 2 hours at a Mennonite Family's home. Asking questions and learning about them. Their family and church practices as well. I joke now that the only thing I forgot to ask is how to convert!
Chris and I were so smitten with their lifestyle and close family ties, that we are trying to purchase an acreage in attempt to try our hand at "being Mennonite". Hmmmm.......
2 comments:
Hanging out laundry is a true pleasure for me. It gives me a few moments to breathe fresh air, stand in the sunshine, think, pray, and regroup. I think one of the wonderful things about doing our chores in a more simplified manner (sweep vs. vacuum, hang out laundry vs. dryer, etc.) is that it builds margins into our days...moments to be still, to contemplate, to be really present. The more I "simplify" my life, the more I enjoy being entrenched in the quotidian events of a homemakers life.
I love those types of pics myself! I am blessed to be at home and have a Godly provider also, I enjoyed reading your posts.
Shirley
www.homeschoolblogger.com/agardenfull/
Post a Comment