Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Large tasks for little hands


I'm trying to incorporate Bekah into more of my tasks that I know she can do. Some of them include dusting (even the breakables as long as they are in easy reach and not too heavy), folding clothes (washclothes, and all her clothes), sweeping the kitchen with her childsize broom, and picking and washing spinach for supper. Of course there are other tasks she does like setting the table and wiping up spills etc. but this one of late (pictured above) has been such a help to me and so much fun to her.

How many times do I take on too much and then it results in my getting frusterated because she gets under foot and I feel like I'd go faster if she'd just go in the other room while I finish all my tasks. Which in reality isn't desirable because she's not learning, I'm not teaching, and there's usually stuff left undone.

I'm working on my patience with her and realizing each day that she'd rather wash spinach with me then play with her dollhouse. Not only is she doing a "big girl's job", she's getting attention from me whom she idolizes, as do all children this age. Of course I may correct her on a technique and it may not be all fun, but this is one step in teaching her the responsibilites of being an adult.

I want Bekah to learn the responsibilities and joys of being an adult, a wife and a mother, and the only way I can do that is to have her at my side....most of the time. As long as I continue to see this as my purpose and goal my patience will grow, along with her desire to fulfill the role that God (Lord Willing) has for her as well.

We as moms (since we are to be the primary caregivers) have a duty to raise our children yes, for the Lord, but also to set examples for our children to be content and industrious within our roles God has created for us, as wives and mothers; husbands and fathers.

Whether they go to school, or are homeschooled, it doesn't negate our responsibility from teaching them the way of the Lord if we are Christians. I am striving to do this with Bekah. Many days I fall short of what I had in mind, but through the grace of God, I hope to show her how to be content and find fulfillment by following Jesus' teachings on how to be as a woman, wife and mother if the Lord allows her to be. To see her do this and find her place in Him, would be the utmost joy I could hope for.

So, on to the next task....

1 comment:

ladyakofa said...

Your cute lady looks adorable helping out in the kitchen! Thank God for discerning moms such as you, who are rasing them up for God's kingdom! :)