(Picture above is Chris' step-sister and Rebekah)
Tonight found me, going through the Walgreen's ad checking the prices against the coupons I have, seeing if there's something I can't live without, that will be dirt cheap. Ok, so after spending the gas to get to WalGreen's; the money I'll spend while on the hunt for my "Great Buys"; and the lunch we'll probably eat out...my purchases won't be dirt cheap. Do I go anyway? Yeah...I have to go to the grocery store anyway.
I know couponing can be great for some people who diligently keep up to date on the specials, rebates, and sales, and some even make a profit (Grandma Ridenour, R.I.P.). However, I have found myself spending more money to use "what I would have spent" on things I don't really need. I haven't made a profit and although I do hit some really good deals, it's generally best for me to avoid temptation by occupying myself at home until it's too late to go shopping and then only go when I have my list of what I need assembled.
I have found that when it comes to buying groceries, generally it is not beneficial for me to use coupons. They are generally for the more expensive product, and a lot of times not necessities. The best way for me to save money when grocery shopping is to:
1. Take a complete inventory of what I have in the house.
2. Study the list to see what meals and desserts can be made.
3. What are some almost complete meals?
4. Make a list of the ingredients that I'll need to make #3 complete.
5. Make a list of the days we'll need what food...THEN check for sales and coupons.
6. Compose a list of all that's needed and stick to it.
I have found this to be the easiest way for me to maintain a certain amount spent when going to the store.
I really like knowing I'm saving money and finding a bargain lends a certain adrenaline rush that makes it worth it...as long as I don't have remorse once I've shown my purchase to my hubby.
Although I've not mastered it by any means, saving money is a goal of mine, the more I save the more I want to save. I'd like to eventually work to live and not have our family live to work.
How have you saved money? What are some tips we could start using?
We:
1. Very little box meals - maybe 1-2 month
2. Carpool to work
3. Keep our heat at 67' average
4. Trying to keep excess lights/electricity off
5. I tried heating and humidifying our basement with the dryer while doing laundry but my hubby didn't approve.
6. I am laying out blankets to dry instead of drying them
7. I have a friend cut our hair rather than have it done, in exchange for me watching her kids.
8. I've started mending! OMG it's so rewarding to just fix materials rather than give away - when we'll just have to buy more. - I didn't realize all that we'd have given away and then had to get more until this week! I didn't realize I was that wasteful. (Granted someone else could have used the items, but that's not the point. :)
9. I made 50% of our Christmas gifts this year.
Welcome to 2009 and my resolution to be less wasteful and more productive in saving, RRR, and being a better steward of what the Lord has blessed me with.
Misti
3 comments:
I haven't found couponing to be as helpful as some people do, either. The only cases where it does work out for me is if I would buy a certain name brand anyway, and I can find a coupon for that name brand on the net. Otherwise, the store brands are usually cheaper than a name brand with a coupon.
I think there must be some big couponing secret that I don't know, however, as some shoppers do seem to get huge savings from them.
I too, do not find couponing to be a good use of my time, for the same reasons that you mentioned. I know there are many people who do, but right now, it isn't for me. I shop in a very similar fashion to the way you do.
Hey Misti,
No, that's not the playhouse. It's on the other side of our house. It's still pink. I fixed it up for Darcie two years ago and laid a black and white checkerboard floor. Very cute! She won't play in it very much though. She's scared of spiders!
The 'little house' was built to make room for Gayle an office and Tyler a bedroom. The three boys together in one bedroom only worked for a few years. I now have my art studio where Tyler's bedroom was. Since he's the only boy home now, he's in the boys' room in the house.
Does your Mom have a blog? If so, would you send me her link? Thanks. Always nice to hear from you. Debbie
Post a Comment