I thought this blog was a great one, after discussing with my mother different people's perspectives on "work".
Just some things I've been thinking about as I learn more about the Amish way of life...
Has technology really helped us? Or made us worse as a whole? Is it better to buy an exercise video, or actually go on a walk to look over our property? Or clean house for that matter?
Is it better to spray our foods with harmful chemicals or to learn to plant things so that one crop discourages another's predator?
Is it better to email a hug or actually deliver one in person.
Or what about having our babies?
Or teaching our children? We've handed over rights and aren't better for it because it seems that the less we know about things the more we'll have to learn later or our children will have to learn. And what have been the motives for all this? We seem to have progressed as a nation, yet we have less family time, healthy foods, less time, and think more of ourselves.
I'm not sure how to put this into a coherent paragraph, so please bare with me as I'm thinking "aloud".
I've just been thinking about the state of our culture, and even our Christian culture. The information on growing gardens and self-sufficiency has been forgotten and by whom? When did that happen? When did information stop getting passed down that now people don't even know what to do if a mouse gets in the house? We seem so educated, yet most women haven't even been "present" at their own children's births. We have been made to think that education is God and everything else doesn't matter, but does it? How come most women know how to compete with men, yet they aren't comfortable with their own bodies and having babies? Just wondering...
What are our priorities?
Do we work toward self-gratification or self-preservation?
Update on real estate:
Oh yeah! The people that are interested in our house are coming back on Sunday! yay!
They are hoping to give us a purchase agreement next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment