Friday, May 30, 2008

Let's go Garage Sailing!!!

Let me tell you, I'm in love with garage sales. Many people enjoy the fun of going to them, but I'm one of those people who love it all. I love organizing them, making coffee and drinking it in the brisk, early morning air, setting them up, selling things, and meeting new people.
In our little town of 2000 people, it's so fun to have a garage/yard sale and meet those who venture out to not only go through our stuff looking for treasures, but also to meet us, the new neighbors.
Last year we had a yard sale and two older bachelors came to wander through our garage, look at an old car my husband had for sale, and eat a couple hot dogs my then 2-1/2 year old daughter was selling. They were so fun to talk to. I think out of their loneliness they stopped at our sale, more than they really needed a toy ship or home decor. (ha-ha) We enjoyed meeting them because it cemented a feeling of comradery in our small town.
I get so excited at going to garage sales as well. Waking up early to treasure hunt. It's fun on the other end, to look through people's junk and dream of how I can recycle it to make it fit my home. How can I turn an old gaudy mirror into something for my room? How could I use a large old dress that's material is still good? I don't really recycle as far as cans, plastics etc. go, (or haven't until this week :) yay!) but I have prided myself on finding junk and giving it a whole new life and vibe.

Funny story and it only happens in a small town, a couple weeks ago I stopped at a garage sale and only had $3 on me (I thought I had more). I picked up a couple shirts, boots, a winter jacket and couple other items for Bekah. When the gal totaled my finds, it came to $5. I told her I only had $3 that I could write a check, though. The women who owned our video store piped up at the other side of the garage and said, "Misti, you're coming in to tan later, why don't you just bring me the $2 and I'll spot you." I had to laugh. This lady is an aquaintance, not even a close friend...but only in a small town! ha-ha

I love the spring air, the bustle of the people on Saturday mornings, the coffee shop a buzz, and meeting people as I go through their stuff!

Almost everything in our home (with the exception of the tile, piano, walls .) have been treasures I've found and given a little TLC here and there.

I'll be having a garage sale at the end of this month. And the fun about getting stuff at garage sales, is that it's not that costly to change your decor often!

To the Garage Sale...

2 comments:

laurel said...

I didn't know you had a blog...just saw it on facebook. :)
Glad to have the chance to see a little more of your heart. That's what I love about blogs. You get to learn things about your friends that you don't often talk about (unless you are together a lot). I will be checking in often!

Misti Aldrich said...
This comment has been removed by the author.